Already I have outlined the important information on shared webhosting and dedicated webhosting in earlier articles and now in this post I will outlined all the necessary information needed you to get on VPS (Virtual Private Server) hosting. VPS hosting is a term that is being used to describe multiple domains that are being hosted on the same virtual private servers.
According to Wikipedia,
“A virtual private server (VPS, also referred to as Virtual Dedicated Server or VDS) is a method of splitting a server. Each virtual server can run its own full-fledged operating system, and each server can be independently rebooted”.
Basically VPS hosting is like a shared hosting with few main differences. In shared hosting you will share your resources but in VPS, every user share the same server with many users but each user has a small operation system that can be rebooted and managed independently.
What is VPS hosting?
Virtual Private Server (VPS) technology allows web site owners to share the costs of dedicated web server with other users, but it gives the website owner a total control over his/her own applications installed and run on the web server.
Now one question in your mind, why should I need VPS basically it’s like a shared hosting?
The answer to this question is quite clear and can be given in layman language, if you have a blog/website that have a terrific amount of traffic, data transfer and hosted information, and don’t have enough amount of money to get dedicated hosting service, then VPS hosting will be the best choice/option for you because it provides higher security, more accessibility to your server and to the hosting account. One thing is quite clear from this, is that you will pay only for what you will get, but a caution “choose a reliable web hosting company”. VPS server offers you excellent solution of power, resources, RAM, dedicated control, privacy and security which will you need from a dedicated server at cheaper shared hosting prices. In a nut shell you are basically the boss of your own virtual server.
Like Shared and Dedicated hosting, VPS hosting also have definite advantages and disadvantages. These will be evaluating here which will help you to cover all your business goals, budget, personal style, and target audience in a wider range.
Advantages of VPS Hosting
- Backup and Restore with 99.9% Uptime.
- Application templates and Support round the clock.
- Cheaper than dedicated hosting and preferred choice of small to middle-sized site.
- Disk Space, RAM and Bandwidth will be your own and will not be shared by any other user.
- Root Access and Self Administration Management Tools available to install and configure any programs you want.
- Reliable, Flexible, Completely Isolated and Secure, protected by firewall/Intrusion Prevention appliances.
- You can host unlimited number of websites and other services like mail server, an FTP server. In addition to it, a dedicated IP address (addresses) will be available and choice of OS (whether Linux or windows).
Disadvantages of VPS Hosting
- Sharing of the server.
- Virtualization technology limits the Choice of Applications.
- Hardware used and Maintenance.
- Responsibility, Crowding, Price (expensive for small sites.)
- Too much usage of CPU or RAM (physical memory) of the server will increase the response time of certain requests.
- If server crashes (might not happen), all the sites on it go down and if any of the sites had lots of traffic, then it might affect all the other sites in a negative way.
Finally in the end do let us know your thoughts and views on VPS web hosting and if I have missed out any of the important aspect then let us know in the comments section? And if you are looking to buy web space at cheap rate then look at the following article which will avail you up to 90% Discount on Web Space.
And if you are looking for a free domain name and webhosting plan the this might help you out:
If you like these articles then you might also interested in reading these articles;